Vee Jay's recommended reading:
Eastward to Tartary
and One Palestine Complete
. Kaplan wrote another good book
that was also very good.
Eastward to Tartary in Spanish,
Rumbo a Tartaria
/Eastward to Tartary : UN Viaje Por Los Balcanes, Oriente Proximo, Y El Caucaso (Biblioteca Grandes
Viajes) -- Robert D. Kaplan; Hardcover
Tidbits, July 21, 2001
1.. What's the definition of a
teenager? God's punishment for enjoying sex.
2. Define Transvestite: A guy who likes to eat, drink and be Mary!
What's the difference between the Pope and your boss? The Pope only expects you to kiss his ring.
4. My mind works like
lightning. One brilliant flash and it is gone.
5. The only time the world beats a path to your door is if you're in the
6. I hate sex in the movies. Tried it once and the seat folded up.
7. It used to be only death and taxes were
inevitable. Now, of course, there's shipping and handling, too.
8. A husband is someone who takes out the trash and
gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.
9. My next house will have no kitchen -- just vending machines.
10. The only thing wrong with a perfect drive to work --- is that you end up at work.
11. Americans are getting
stronger. Thirty years ago, it took two people to carry ten dollars' worth of groceries. Today, a five-year-old can do
12. Blondie told her friend, "I was worried that my mechanic might try to rip me off, so I was relieved when he
told me all I needed was blinker fluid."
13. Why is a government worker like a shotgun with a broken firing pin? It
won't work and you can't fire it.
14. I'm so depressed...I went to the doctor today. He refused to write me a
prescription for Viagra. Said it would be like putting a new flagpole on a condemned building.
On a slightly different subject;
We asked VeeJay for some thoughts on a comparison the movie classic, Guns of Navarone, with one of the contemporary war glorification/ propaganda movies, Saving Private Ryan. We will review the two flicks when we get a round2it. So our heroine advised:
"I didn't see either The Guns of Navarone or Saving Private Ryan. I tend to avoid war stories because there is
too much violence going on in the world. My husband worked for NATO in Naples. I loved living in Italy from the late 1950's and early1960's, and never got over being la signora"